Expert Acne Scar Treatment at Advanced Hair & Skin Surgery
Acne is a very common condition affecting men and women. Everyone knows about acne in the teen years once puberty starts, but many don’t realize that adult acne is very common. This is especially true for women in their 30s and 40s. Acne makes you feel self-conscious and can often even lead to scarring. There are many effective treatments for acne and its complications. These include topical and oral medications, medical peels and exfoliation treatments, and scar correction with surgery or silicone injection.
The expert team at Advanced Hair & Skin Surgery provides state-of-the-art acne scar treatment for several different types of acne scars and indentations in Edmonton and Sherwood Park, AB. Call us today to schedule an appointment!
What Are Acne Scars & Their Types?
Acne scars are especially frustrating because once you’ve found a way to clear up the acne on your skin, you have to deal with the marks that never seem to fade. Acne scarring is two-fold: The first is the post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, which leaves red or brown marks, and the second is the ice pick scars, an indentation or pit in the skin.
If you’re concerned about your acne scars and considering treatment, we welcome you to our Sherwood Park office for an individualized consultation. At Advanced Hair & Skin Surgery, we have state-of-the-art equipment and treatments that can minimize or even erase the following types of marks and indentations:
- Atrophic Macules– Atrophic macules are soft and sometimes blue or white. These can appear on the body, as well as the face.
- Boxcar Scars – Boxcar scars are round or oval depressions with steep vertical sides. These scars are typically wider than ice pick scars and give the skin a pitted appearance.
- Depressed Fibrotic Scars – If icepick scars are somehow aggravated, they can transform into depressed fibrotic scars, which are large, hard, and crater-like.
- Follicular Macular Atrophy – Follicular macular atrophy scars are small, raised, generally white bumps usually seen on the back or chest.
- Icepick Scars – Icepick scars are characterized by thin, deep columns of missing skin tissue. These scars are typically caused by severe acne on the face and usually appear on the cheek or nose.
- Macules – Macules are flat pigmented patches. They’re usually the result of severe acne and appear after the original inflammation period.
- Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation – This type of hyperpigmentation can appear anywhere on the body and varies in size. This is usually caused by hormonal changes and/or inflammation from acne.
- Rolling Scars – Rolling acne scars are characterized by relatively broad depressions in the skin that have sloping, rounded edges.
- Soft Scars – These scars are generally small and vary in size and shape.
Silicone Injection Treatment for Acne Scars
Acne scars come in many forms, but any depressed or dimpled scar can be improved by injecting a filler. This adds volume under the scar and raises it up flush with the surrounding skin, often making it invisible in an instant. Temporary fillers, such as Restylane®, don’t make sense for a permanent scar, so Dr. Elliott uses Silikon 1000 micro-droplets. Silicone has been used for more than 40 years for acne scarring and is the only permanent dermal filler available.
In this technique, a tiny needle is used to inject micro-droplets under the scar. The technique is instant, permanent, and does not require any downtime.
How Do Silicone Injections Work?
Silicone injection treatments stimulate collagen production to repair your skin tissue and minimize the appearance of acne scars and lesions. Acne scars are caused by pores being overwhelmed with excess oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells. When the pore becomes infected and swells, the follicle wall might break, which leads to lesions.
When using silicone injection treatments, your surgeon will deposit microdroplets of silicone underneath your skin. This will fill in your skin’s defects, and your body will begin to accept the silicone as part of itself. Over the next four to six weeks, collagen will form around the silicone, and you’ll be left with natural, healthy-looking skin. This treatment is great because it requires little to no downtime, and our clients can resume daily activities immediately following their appointments.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Silicone Injections?
Most patients who are seeking to improve the overall look of their skin are good candidates for silicone injections. Do you suffer from acne, chickenpox scars, or surgical scarring from previous procedures? If you answered yes, you could be the perfect candidate for silicone injection treatments. A consultation with your dermatologist is the best way to determine if you’re a good candidate.
How Do Zip Zaps Cortisone Injections Work on Acne?
Another commonly performed treatment in Dr. Elliott’s practice is “zit zaps.” Because cystic pimples consist of inflamed, swollen bumps, cortisone shots help get rid of acne by reducing inflammation, which shrinks the pimple. This can also help reduce the risk of potential scarring that occurs with swollen zits. When performing this procedure:
- Your dermatologist will use a tiny needle to inject a small amount of the medicine directly into a pimple.
- In most cases, it takes between 24 to 48 hours for the tenderness, redness, and swelling to subside.
Some breakouts may require more than one injection. While it’s expected for your breakout to subside, how long it takes varies among all clients. For stubborn, painful acne cysts, a simple cortisone micro-injection will minimize the pimple within 24 hours.
Why Choose Advanced Hair & Skin Surgery?
The professional team at Advanced Hair & Skin Surgery provides premier hair transplant treatments, cosmetic procedures, acne treatments, vein treatments, and much more. Dr. Elliott and his team are committed to providing state-of-the-art medical, cosmetic, and surgical treatments with a personal touch at their office, serving patients in Edmonton, Sherwood Park, and surrounding areas. You’ll always feel relaxed in our comfortable, welcoming environment. Contact us today to get the professional care you deserve.